In order to have us start researching your veteran or get material from the archives, there are a couple of steps you need to take. Below you can find an overview of what to do step-by-step to get your research going by Footsteps Researchers.
Step 1: Decide what type of archive material you need for your research.
- Do you want Service Records, Morning Reports or After Action Reports?
- If you don’t know what to get, feel free to fill out this form and contact us!
- For a quote on a project or College Park materials, go to contact us and tell us what you need.
Step 2: When it is clear what type of archive material you need, go ahead and purchase the right retainer fee.
- This is the fee that you need to pay in order to have us start your research. This includes a certain amount of research time. It could be possible that we’ll have to extend the research time, depending on the volume of our requested items. If that happens, we will communicate with you first and then agree to move forward, charging you afterward for the extra time spen on getting your archive material.
Step 3: In order to help you as best as possible, we will have you fill out a Research Form to help us get us your files in the least amount of time as possible.
- You can find the Research Form here.
Step 4: As soon as you have completed the payment and filled out the form our Team Leader, Myra Miller, Ph.D., will review your request, reply to your submission, and start the project.
- Remember, it takes the Archives two to four weeks to come back with your Service Records after we have requested them from the Archives. If you are lucky enough to have a B-File (burned) it will take longer as it has to go through the preservation department. We don’t have any idea when the file will arrive in the Research Room to make the appointment to
Step 5: We will start imaging and processing your files.
- This includes having them optimized for digital use.
Step 6: If more research time is needed, Myra will invoice via PayPal for the time extended beyond that included in the retainer fee.
Step 7: You are all set! Once the research project has been completed, we will email you a link with a zipped file via Box that allows you to download the files and save to your computer.
- Special requests: If you wish to receive the files via standard mail, make sure to contact us first as additional charges will apply.